Thursday, May 7, 2015

And so the spine goes, again

Anyone who has seen me at church or more in the last three weeks knows that pain has taken over.  And friends who see me more know its bad this time. Even office staff at our doctors see its bad.    This time its only in my legs.  Each week.I can walk less.amd less.before the pain stops me.  Now its 9 steps and I have to pause.   Feels like garden tools are cutting into my outer thigh and calf.  Non of my usual stuff even touched the pain, no acupuncture, massage, PT, even three Marcaine spine injections in one week.   After I colored dots on my leg where it hurt with each step, the doc sent me for an MRI.  He said I had perfectly mapped the nerves from S1 and L5 dermatomes.  Scan confirmed "large disk protrusions and extrusions" at L5/L4, and  "small disk protrusion extended  into the central (nerve) canal".   funny, the large disk issue isn't pushing on the nerves (atleast when I laying down), its the smaller protrusion that is pushing on just the wrong spot. 

Surgery is not an option in my mind.  I've got great docs who will.help.me.get.over this. And a patient and kind.family, despite the bear pain has turned me into.  

Yes, there is a chance its lymes that has caused the inflammation here, and the MRI is showing bad stuff that isn't the root of my problem.  Some people walking around have no pain, and worse MRIs that I do.  And other people who have worse pain and perfect MRIs.  I am hopefully planting myself in the no pain/bad MRI camp.  Its a nicer place to mentally live. 

today at 12ish I try something different to get relief.  I have gone.with everyone's encouragement to a steroid injection into the spine today (very different than Marcaine injections).    this after a week of Lyrica,.an RX for.nerve pain,.that has left my brain muddled.  Its driving Grant crazy, and irritating all my work.  But pain is down 10% on it. The pain is slightly less stinging when I walk.  Again, have to trust docs, do all they say, follow it if it feels right, even if it really sucks.    I don't have time to mess around after these three plus weeks of pain that have impacted everyone and everything. 

And no, I didn't have one specific injury (typical), and I was at the end of one treatment, and then break, then starting another when this started happening.  We have theories, but nothing solid.

So that's all, the long story.

Bright side, sitting and laying down aren't bad, so I intend.to.just enjoy the airport and tour Prague in whatever wheelchairs I can get my hands on.  I have more than a week before I go.   

I have 4 great sisters who listen to me.cry, cheer me up, encourage me.thru one more event/chore. I have awesome.friends and neighbors who have taken some of the burden of family life away.   A relief society pres, who I have admired for years, brought in dinner and FHE treats twice.  Another friend, Kim, watching kids then had us stay for dinner twice.   My sweet VT who just listened to me cry and get all my fears and worries out, and who has taken Alex to driving car time twice.  A new friend, Marrianne driving me to get the steroids today.  A friend Mindy who came over to do homework, and just habjng her her kept me going.   and she swapped laundry loads.  many phone calls from.friends.    I'm.sure I'm forgetting more.     More people offering help, but its hard to see what I can pass on.  My kids do a lot of chores, so we aren't dying like the last time this happened...just overwhelmed

Okay, Mark is crying about not getting a specific apron to wear at breakfast, and I'm hungry too. 

Even if I took time to edit, my Lyrica brain keeps telling me that there are no edits.  And I know its wrong. 

(photos, if I remember, fashion in pain...compression stockings!  So many stories I could tell, but make.a.big difference in my vein related pain)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.