Sunday, September 20, 2009

Piano Lessons: Trauma remembered

Last post was about my children starting piano lessons.  I was very clear with their wonderful teacher (on the phone) that Emily would go first, Alex second.   With Emily’s mood, that great “I get to be first!” energy would be the best.

So far I haven’t regretted the day I made it permanent. 

“Emily!  (and Alex)I’m so excited about a phone call I got today.   We got to the top of the piano lesson waiting list!  Emily got into the 4:30 slot, and Alex got into the 5:00 slot!  I’m so excited for you guys!”

So far, I have only watched Emily bounce off the seat, and I’m glad I gave her the first slot.  She’s also know for tantrums when a book is taken away (the waiting activity).  I know this, because right now I’m blessed to be able to sit with them.  The babes are happily at home, sleeping with the nanny.  That is nearing it’s end as I’m taking wider strides towards  full time parenthood.   

As soon as I got the call about lessons, my mind had already been set about the pitfalls of switching who had the first lesson of the week.  

My piano lessons with Sis. Trumball were with my brother, Sam.  Sis. Trumball had a fun house.  Better, newer toys and something great down stairs.  They had toys that we had seen advertised on TV.  

Of course, the were no match for what was outside.  The fair-weather treat for us:  A trampoline.   All to ourselves.  No kids to share it with.  No siblings to take turns with.  AND NO PARENT TO SCREAM STOP! 

Now for the expensive part, our lessons.   Sam and I were supposed to trade off every week.  Sam and I were supposed to take turns going first.  Of course, second was the best.  With the chatty teacher and mom, you got more playing time.   At the time, my (now) dear brother Sam was a bratty, spoiled little boy who always got his way.  

The fact is, he knew how to throw tantrums and I didn’t.    Often when it was plainly MY turn to play first/lesson second, Sam would pout in the car.  He refusal to move would get me dragged back from the fun, on to the piano bench.    And all this would be time taken out of expensive lessons.   Mom insisted on one year of lessons for each of her children.  And it served her very well.  Opera singers, Cello player in BYU orchestras, two boys in two bands, ward organist, and lots of great singers have came out of that work.     

Getting back to our turn of the “year of piano lessons”.  Sam now says he doesn’t remember this part at all.  I wonder what life lesson is supposed to be learned in that.    The only one who remember is the compliant one, so break more rules? 

I enjoyed lessons, besides the fact that every other week I would have to duke it out with a big fat whiner.  Of course, sometimes every week the car’s seats were given a beating during his tantrums.

Did you take any music lesson?  What kind? 

(oh, loved last post’s comments about your Pokémon names!)

Note to Author:   Rachel, don’t forget to find/order

Music Flash Cards for learning the piano sheet music notes

Jane Bastien’s set is the best.

#GP27 – Music Flashcards

0-84027-01261 

Note to Reader:  Found them two days later, very easy to get at Mills Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.