Monday, June 29, 2009

10 pounds of chocolate

Today Grant celebrates a big event at work.    So big that he had to drive the car.  (he usually takes the bus)

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 345

This is the only photo I could sneak in before he took off for work.  He’s carrying a box full of “Helzer Homemades”.   Ten pounds of tiny chocolates that I ordered from my sister’s company.   (We kept them in the freezer for months, so I would not eat them)  For the big affairs, 5 year, 10 year, etc…. it is customary to bring equivalent pounds of chocolate for the years you have worked.  I wanted something memorable, so I worked with my sister to get some great flavors.  Ten years of supporting a husband’s long hours and late night affairs with work, and I didn’t get a single taste! 

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 344

June 28 marked the tenth year that Grant has been working for Microsoft. 

we laughed as we remembered that years ago, that meant you were a ten-millionaire.   Now it just means that you’ve kept the golden handcuffs on for ten years.

More important, we’ve been in Washington for 10 years.  

10 beautiful springs, with flowers that make Hawaii look dull. 

10 rainy winters, with a few good storms to make me glad I don’t have to shovel snow all winter!

10 soggy falls, none of the crispy leaves to jump in.  But oh the colors!  The colors of every street, neighborhood, parking lot….only Washington spring colors  can top it

10 short short summers.  Which is fine for us, since we really don’t like being hot and sweaty. 

And yes, I have to have something about my health….10 years of great health insurance, making it possible for me to be a mom for nearly 10 years, and still be alive and hopeful for these last ten years.   For all we’ve gone thru, it doesn’t matter that we didn’t make the Microsoft millionaires club. 

Happy 10 Years Grant!

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Congratulations to both of you. It's an accomplishment for you too.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! 10 years...and what a fun way to celebrate the 10 years. great way to remember! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 yrs wow. Glad to hear things are going good for you guys still.

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.