Sunday, June 14, 2009

My new hobby, photos in 2025

I have a new hobby!   I mean, a new career!

(applause)

Thank you, thank you!

(applause dies down)

I’d like to give much thanks to young Foster J.  Even though you were just a cub scout, you taught me something important.  It was the day I learned with my son how to whittle with a knife properly.  I had so much fun!  And I bought the completely WRONG kind of knife (I hate you Sir Plus, you gave horrible advice) .  So now I have my own whittling knife, and we’ll get the proper size AND folding feature on Alex’s knife. 

knife aceros-de-hispania

I was excited about my knife, and I couldn’t wait to sit and whittle.  It sounded very fun, and I thought it was unusual that something felt fun too.  But I lamented that I can’t sit for very long, so I would have to wait a while before I would get to try out my new crush-hobby.

But Foster said, “You can just lay in bed and whittle!”  

(laughter roars, they’ve heard this before, but it’s still funny)

I started to laugh, thinking about shavings in the bed sheets.  Laughed about where those shavings might splinter if I did whittle in bed.  But then I remembered, my bed is made of wood!  I could practice on some wood, on a bed tray, and then I could get good enough that i could hand whittle/ carve a beautiful design in my bed. 

This new hobby made my heart beat with joy.  Now I had something to do in my recently extended convalescences.    Instead of blogging (sometimes) and reading blogs (most times), I would whittle! 

(applause, hoots of appreciation)whittling and knife whittln

So now, I’d like to thank Foster, and my family, my grandkids and my friends for their support in my hobby turned career as a wood carver.   Special thanks to my husband for that long time of bed sheet splinters as I was ill.  Look honey, I got better AND I learned a skill AND I make money from it! 

(laughter, more applause)

So thank you all, thank you for this “woodcarver of the year” award.  Here’s too an even better 2025! 

(applauses builds to a standing ovation, Grant is seen wiping a tear from his eye.   Alex is scolding  his children who are jumping around.   Cue exit music)

California Memorial Weekend part 2 094

(Photo from the reception after the “woodcarver of the year”  award, 4 generations, including Rachel’s daughter and Granddaughter)

 

photo from whittln.com.   I love you!

2 comments:

  1. Could you whittle me a king size bed frame while you're resting in bed? That would be great. Ok, JUST a headboard if it's not too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!! This post made my day! I've got some scrap wood if you would like some to whittle.

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.