Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I don’t get scouts

A post from “Oh Judy” made me think.  

Scouts.

Boy scouts

I had 4 brothers and I never remember anything scout related other than seeing the scout shirt.   I never remember projects, derby cars, or the books

IMG_8512

Now that my oldest (a boy) is some animal group and wears a blue shirt, I'm supposed to "help" him do some, not all, of the goals to earn something made of fabric or metal.

YW and personal progress was so much easier and straight forward!! And there were no stinking patches to sew on to a shirt that may or may not be too small before he doesn’t need it anymore. 

 IMG_8509

I boycott it.  Sewing patches, that is.  So Alex’s second shirt has the patches stapled on. 

 IMG_8511

I did it backwards so that he wouldn’t be poked.  And they have washed just fine.   I’m actually shocked that no one has said anything to me about it.  Perhaps being “The lady who lays down at church all the time” has some perks.   People just expect less of me, like stapling on scout patches.

IMG_8510

So do you get scouts?  Are you a cub scout mom yet? 

Mark's first month, blessing, visitors 038

Oh the patches, and the cards, and the metal pins.  Pins for mom…that’s not something the Young Women do!

(the picture above it Alex giving me a “special pin”  that I have no idea the significance of.  He just started cub scouts.  This was Feb 26, I’ve got 4 day old Mark in a front pack under the green blanket.  Katelyn is in pink and red, 2 years old.  Alex is wearing his first shirt that I carefully had sewn the patches on.  Later I had to take them off for a different shirt.  GRRRR!   Oh, to top it off, I was having another gallbladder attack during the whole Blue and Gold Banquet.  I’m surprised I managed to turn my lips into a smile shape for this picture!)

Most important:  Have you ever worn those pins that the moms get more than once????  where did you wear them???

7 comments:

  1. I don't get Scouts either. Matt deals with the patches and has taken responsibility for the goals and stuff. I didn't even do all of my YW goals and my leaders encouraged me to fill some of them in retroactively for the things in my life I was working on, but I said that was cheating. :)

    My brother is 6 years older than me. My Scout memories involve trying on his uniform and going to a meeting where they had a cake that looked like a Scout hat. I have pretty much regarded it as a guy thing and I admit I find myself fighting my inner feminist deep within. I had a conversation with Matt years ago about why they had women teach the younger groups when it's something we've never been involved in growing up. He said because the boys respond more positively to women. I was still left thinking, "OK, but it's a guy thing." I was in Campfire girls. We glued googley eyes on driftwood and stuff and sang songs about eating worms because no one liked us. I didn't stay in it for long.

    When I received my mom pin during the first PAC meeting (yeah, don't know what that's for either), I was running back and forth between YW and the gym because I was supposed to play for a musical number. The stake primary pres. saw me standing in line at one point with my three boys and made a comment about putting me in scouts. My eyes widened. I said, "I'm pregnant and I have 5 callings." I'm pretty sure I gave her a look like, "Why don't you just shoot me?" and she changed her mind. I think I had just received my gestational diabetes diagnosis that week too.

    If they're going to put women in Scouts, why not make some shirts with more chick appeal? I'm not interested in wearing something in baby poo brown. There. I said it. I want something purple, or teal, or maybe wine colored, or hunter green, and while you're at it, get me a capelet! I'll teach the boys how to make delicious things like caprese salad and about someday watching their own children without whining. How to take out the garbage. How to put the toilet paper on the thingie. How to successfully make ice. How to put the toilet seat down. Is there a merit badge in putting the toilet seat down?

    Also, the military really turned me off to anything involving patches. I feel like accomplishments are their own reward. I never cared about certificates, medallions, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually an asst. scout den leader for a while and I still don't understand the whole concept of scouts, nor do I particularly like it. Oh well, I guess when Jack is 8 I'll grin and bear it like everyone else.

    As for the pins I've seen some moms with neckbands that they attach their pins too. Here is a link to what they look like http://www.mothers-pride.com/. I'm sure they wouldn't be hard to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read Sarah's comment and I just wanted to let her know that the scout shirts for women also come in a very attractive yellow. I must say they are very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. But does it come with a capelet?

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw your blog. Yup, I refused to take the whole family to Pack Meetings. A pack includes wolves, bears, and whatever the third one is... I also put the task on each boy's back to accomplish the scouting things... Now, in the years since, the girls have Activity Days, instead of being entirely left out, as they used to be. Scouting is important because we cooperate with other good non-LDS people. Otherwise, as you see, it's not as good as the programs we have for our YM and YW.

    From Rachel's mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scout are stupid!! There I said it. I was called to be a den leader right after we were married therefore no kids of my own. The other den leader had a 3 year old girl and 1 year old twin boys. Leave the crappy den mother leader to someone that has a kid involoved.
    Make me girls camp director anyday but please never scouts again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW I love that you stapled the patches on. I use to stape the hems of my pants and everyone laughed at me. They finally bought me some stitich witch or whatever that iron the seam stuff is called. Easy but I still liked the staples better.

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.