Saturday, August 8, 2009

Alex’s birth song, the beginning of the birth song

Alex…my first born.  Even though I was a first time mom, I knew that this time would pass me by so fast.  Infancy, babies, childhood…then college and marriage. 

I had back surgery when I was 18.  Shouldn’t be related to the birth of my first born.  But it is.  The surgery was very scary, and I was too young to be my own advocate.  During a Lamaze breathing class, I was writhing in pain while the rest of the moms were half asleep.  “Maybe you need a therapist, someone extra to help you since you obviously have more pain issues then then most moms,”  The older class teacher said.

I ended up with some ignorant therapist, who had never been a mom, who had never been in pain.  “Think of a song with a good even tempo, then use that song to leave the pain”.   The song came easy.  Brand new that year.  Played everywhere.  This was before youtube and itunes.   I actually listened to the radio for music.  CD’s were too expensive.   I did buy the CD. 

This song started my tradition of “birth songs”.   I don’t remember if music was played during your birth.  I do remember watching a movie or two.  I started pushing while our wedding luncheon video was on.  Two hours later, I have no idea what was happening in the room.  No song in my head would help with this pain.   Grant said they brought in another nurse just to talk in my ear, encourage me.  She didn’t let me get away with my exhausted fake pushing.  Two hours…then you came.   No music then.

Alex did arrive, and a few days later he arrive at our home.  Whenever that song played, I picked him up and danced.  It was important to me.  Even if it meant leaving the stove.  We danced.  He was happy.  I was happy.  I managed to give birth without trauma (I didn’t say drama).   We dances so much to this song.  As Alex learned to walk, we would hold hands.  Then baby#2 came into view.   I knew that she would need her own song, and her own dance. 

But birth songs started with my first born,  (fueled by a stupid therapist),  became something to have a moment with my kids, and continued to this day.

The song was “Someday” by Sugar Ray.  It was on their  “14:59” cd

1 comment:

  1. I love birth songs! I liked reading those posts. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.