Monday, August 10, 2009

I wish I could say it was “school prep”

Grant and I have gotten lazy this summer.  We hear the kids in the morning.  But we both sleep in.  It’s an unspoken game of chicken…who will get up first.  Sometimes we yell out for an older child to fix a siblings bottle or diaper.  And we sleep on. 

For some reason, this lack of our parenting is frustrating the nanny.  She doesn’t like arriving in the morning to 4 grumpy, hungry kids and 2 leaking diapers. 

Grant has also been frustrated, for different reasons.  He doesn’t like how much time I spend in bed.  Because of pain, for sure.  But sleeping all day just delays the problem.    So he set up a schedule, which also happened to help me get more consistent on the pain related meds. 

“7 am!  I have to get up at 7am!  You are crazy!”  I yelled said.

“Rachel, that still gives you plenty of sleep.  If you are having a bad pain day, I am fine with you moving to the couch.  I am not implying that you are expected to be a full parent at 7am.” Grant calmly replied.

For some reason, this was not enough.  “Well, Mr... Read-a-book-until-3-am-in-bed, If I am going to suffer with 7am, I am not doing it alone.   I will only agree to try this if you are out of bed at 7am too.  And in bed at 10pm too.  WITH NO BOOKS,” I said bitterly constructively.

Grant, a man who would do well to wake up at 10 am, and still not speak to anyone for an hour….agreed.  Wow.  He must have really wanted me to…to get better.   He must have really loved me to agree to keep this schedule with me. 

Here it is…the schedule.  It makes me cackle smile inside to see his name too.

Rachel & Grant's Daily Schedule (8/8-8/22)

7 am  Get out of bed; Aciphex; Naturopathic meds

8 am Breakfast

8:35  Walk Grant to bus

9 am Lyrica

10 am Pill O*

12pm-noon Lamictal*/lunch/Vitamin C/Naturopathic

1pm Nap No matter what, not even doc appointments

4 pm Pill O, (If I’m awake)

4:30 Get out of bed (Grant set the second alarm clock to be sure of this)

5:30 Be part of family (read: get out of cave-of-a-bedroom)

6 pm Dinner

7:30 Kids Bedtime; Benadryl/Progesterone/Naturopathic

9pm Pill O/Lyrica/Loestra*

10pm Bedtime

*New meds as part of my new pain management plan.  I am ecstatically cautiously hopeful.

well…you can judge for yourself how this goes by reading the next few posts. 

2 comments:

  1. Hahahaha!!!! OK, I know it's not funny to you, but I like the funny way you worded the situation. I love to take unpleasant situations and make them funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, you are awesome! You looked incredible today and this was me thinking you were totally fine now. I was surprised to learn differently (haven't read your blog in a while). It was great visiting with you. You are truly a diva! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.