Friday, August 7, 2009

Emily’s birth song

I was so active during this time.   I was so aware, too.  I was so happy to be pregnant with a girl, and feel so much smaller.   I was a whale with Alex’s pregnancy. 

Madonna had a newer hit out.  Back then I was still aware of the music scene.  I loved the music video.  I loved the fast and slow speed of the song.  It was simple choice.  Emily’s song would be “Ray of Light”.  Really, it had come out a few years before, but it was still playing everywhere, all the time.    Hey, I pick my own rules for birth songs!

Emily’s name was a simple choice too.   I had wanted a daughter named Emily since I was 10 years old.  When my pregnant mom who talked about “Emily” brought home “Christina”.   We still called our last sibling Emily for a month.    (Christina is also Stina, or Aunt Stina

Later, when I was in high school, I tried out for my first play.  I got the lead.  I was Emily in “Our Town”.  A locket was a key prop in the play.  My boyfriend at the time (don’t tell Dad), bought me a locket for the last night of the play.  It was engraved with “Emily”.  I still have that locket.  waiting for her to get older, not lose it, and have a boyfriend sweet enough to engrave things for her.

Just like all the kids and “their” songs, I would stop whatever I was doing, and dance.  Pick up that child and dance.  Remember that I wanted them, that I loved them, and that all I was doing was for them.  And, of course, dance.   And we were all happy. 

Love the lyrics, “She got herself a little piece of heaven” because holding you was just that to me.     And “I feel like I just got home”, because I wanted you to feel at home.   Plus, as a second time mom, I was more aware of how time really did fly by.

Emily’s birth song, “Ray of Light” by Madonna

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.