Monday, July 13, 2009

I sometimes have a life besides pain: Children

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 207 (Getting “hugged” from all 4 kids, on day 5 of the 10 day migraine, I wore sunglasses all the time.   Kate’s legs in purple stick out, Emily’s head is next to my cheek, and you can see her skirt between the boys.  )

Alex:  You were so excited when you saw the knife I bought you for Cub Scouts!  I know Dad was REALLY mad that it wasn’t a small pocket knife.  But you didn’t care that I just bought what the guy at the store said.  You were so happy for all the attention it got us.  (and was I the only one who heard the giggle in the leaders voice when he got to another boys tiny boring folding knife?).  All the big scouts crowed around to help YOU sharpen your knife.   When you asked why they were all watching you, one boy yelled, “because you have the best knife!”  or was it “most awesome knife”  I can’t recall.  But we both had fun. 

It was really great to spend some time with just you, and watch you whittle your first bar of soap.  Your Aunt Liza was great at that.

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 154 (Alex gives Dad his Father Day Card- a remote.  For some reason the “mute kids” button is broken)

Today you start Cub Day Camp.  Though around here they split it up into two camps. One 10-2, One 2-8.  You are going to the later, “twilight” camp.   Your first year was tough, because you were used to going to bed at 7:30.  You didn’t arrive home until after 9.  This year you’ll be fine.  Since bedtime is now punishment…as in, the kids can stay up as late as they want until they annoy us.  

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 132 (Alex is a happy helper while Grant puts up the digital antenna)

Emily:  8 is great!  As you get ready for baptism, you have changed.  You are more thoughtful when you’ve done something wrong.  You take time to feel bad, say sorry, and ask/pray for forgiveness.  You still LOVE food.  If you are hungry, you sneak something.  We find your wrappers/bowls upstairs, behind the dollhouse (how do you fit in there?), in the back of your closet, between the food storage shelves, or in an old box.    I don’t give you a hard time about it, because all your Zmolek family did that.  I guess even an unlocked pantry isn’t enough to calm that gene. 

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 268 (Emily licking the mixer after making her birthday cake.  It was late night on birthday eve, since I only had a headache (instead of a migraine) I got you out of bed to cook)

You’ve been cooking up a storm.  You made your own birthday cake.  It was so sprinkled with coconut and color that it looked like a Homer Simpson size donut.  You dipped marshmallows with Nanny Julie.

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 315( Emily laughing as we sang Happy birthday)

The next day (Saturday) morning, we woke up to morning treats made by you.  Jelly on the bottom, chocolate chips, and of course, cereal.   It was the first thing I saw next to me as I woke up.  For some reason, it didn’t induce hunger.

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 341 (Emily’s hand made breakfast treat called “ruin your morning and spend the day cleaning up jelly” munchies.)

Katelyn:   You are talking so much more!  We can understand you 90% of the time!  Even more impressive is when we say the correct word, and you say it back perfectly. 

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 158 (Kate, how do you fall asleep like that?  Even while awake, you will sit with your legs like a W.   Gotta give props to the Richins double joints)

The speech therapy is paying off.   We are about to change therapists, again.  Teacher Beth is awesome, a very skilled lady.  But we are wasting each others time.    Until our family is emotionally ready to stop bottles, you can’t go further. 

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 363 (Katelyn, changing outfits as often as she changes moods.  She loves all of Emily’s outgrown dresses)

Daddy swears when quitting bottles is mentioned, since it’s the only sure way to calm you down.  And right now we need all the tricks we can use to keep the family calmed down.  We tried to take you off them (again).  You really liked the new straw sippy cups at first.  Then you wouldn’t drink.  Or eat.  And you got painfully constipated.  And you cried a lot.  so we gave up.  For the 4 or 5th time.    We love you, and are sorry for any damage done by having you so attached to bottles at  3 1/2.    You are so good, only taking a bottle in bed.  If you are upset, you ask for a bottle.  A few minutes later, you walk out holding the bottle.  You are calm, put the bottle in the fridge, and start to play.  I Love you!

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 112 (Kate eating her first McDonalds Breakfast the day we left California.  )Kate+food=happiness

Mark:  Today you had your adenoids removed and tubes put in your sick ears.  We hope your speech will improve.  You chatter all day, but we can’t make out a word!   You are a ray of sunshine and laughter in this house.

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 181 

(rare night, Mark fell asleep in my arms.  I held him for hours, since I missed out on so many nights like this)  

I didn’t realize how a smile is stuck on your face until Friday.  You had your 15 month  shots the day before, and you were hurting.  You walked around the house with a frown.  The only chatter you made was crying.  Even running up to me and cuddling, you kept a frown on your face.  I was really glad to see it back the next day.    Please, please give me a name.  You can even call me Rachel.  Just call me something!  My last baby, and you don’t even call me mama. 

emily's birthday, early summer goofing 137 (Mark “loving” a popular toy kitty.  This must be at night, because usually Kitty is in Kate’s proximity.)

The children really do adapt.  They are growing fast than I can heal.  But my eyes and ears work. 

5 comments:

  1. Great stories about your kids! Hope Mark heals quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome snapshot of your kids!

    Kaden(3 and 4months) has liquid comfort too. Thankfully he never took a bottle (though I wished he had before he was eating solids) but he loves his Weetga (yo on the go yogurt smoothie) and Chocolate milk. Often when he is upset he tells me Chocolate milk would make him feel better. That or watching a movie.

    Poor little Mark. I hope the surgery helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and my Asher is almost 15 months without any words too. He does say no and shake his head but he uses it as the answer to EVERY question so I'm not sure it counts. He only says mamamamamama when he wants to nurse but he'll say dada when Matt walks in the door after work (I think he is mostly just imitating Kaden and I). Mostly he just softly babbles at us, or angrily- he does know how to tell us off in his baby language. LOL.

    My nephew didn't call his mom mama until after he was two. And it made my SIL so sad cause he would say Dada.

    So don't stress or worry too much- it will happen and be precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what kind of back-ache I would have if I feel asleep in that position too. Wowzers. Oh the joys that our children bring us...and the headaches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. redwood driving range
    13029 Woodinville-Redmond Rd NE
    Redmond, WA 98052 Direction | Google Map
    Phone: (425) 869-8814, (425) 869-7585

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.