Sunday, February 15, 2009

...then in the dark they were filled with pleasure...

...as they weeded the garden and the lawn.   Yes.  Thursday night.  With muddy clothes on.

It all started after school.   Alex and Emily were told of a surprise in the car.   They were wiggling with excitement as they were reminded to finish their homework and chores fast so they could see it.  

I didn't have time to wrap it up.  It would have added to the fun, but as it turns out, it wasn't needed.

By the time they were done with their needed work, including dinner, they ran out to the van.  I couldn't get there fast enough to take pictures.  I did hear the cries of, "cool!   Are those really ours?"  "How did you know?  we have our own!"

I then told them how expensive these were, and how I thought the kids deserved a great gift.  I then told them they were finally old enough and careful enough to use the best tools.  They were even more thrilled. 

They couldn't wait for me to show them how to use them.  They only glanced at the instructions that hung awkwardly from the middle post. 

Then they got to work.  And worked.  And worked.  In the dark, lit by the porch light.  Later,  I got a camping lantern out and they continued to work and work by the rock wall. 

What was this awesome gift? Alex seems to think so!

 Grant's birthday, Valentines day, and messes inbetween 011

Alex got the "weed hound", and fingured it out on the first try.  It got surprisingly deep.

Grant's birthday, Valentines day, and messes inbetween 019

Emily got the "garden planter" which is easier to use with two feet, but needs extra hand work to sort out the weeds from the ball of dirt. 

Grant was grumpy that two messy, hungry kids were left with him inside.  I ignored him (sorry honey), since I wanted to cheer on (with all my attention) my new gardeners!  Messy kids happen ever day.  But kids excited about pulling weeds?  Gotta nurture and clap for that!

Grant's birthday, Valentines day, and messes inbetween 026

This photo was  with no flash, only the light from the front porch.  They filled half  a square "recycling" bucket, in this low light!

I was so excited, that I called my "most vocal dandelion critic" neighbor, and told him to come out and look on my lawn.  He was so excited!  After commending them on helping out sick mom and busy dad, he told them to go to bed and stay healthy.  How sweet. 

The next three days are school holidays.  Mid winter break.   The kids have dreams of science fair projects.  Emily to do, "can you tell the difference between Costco and Target licorice (red vines)".   Alex wants to do, "what has the most power, lemon, orange, or potato.  It will be interesting to see if they get far enough along that I let them enter their projects. 

But if they don't get busy on their projects, at least I'll have a great lawn!  ...or better one!

Grant's birthday, Valentines day, and messes inbetween 015

4 comments:

  1. Yes, child labor ......

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy to see you're still writing from your "happy spot"- even if you don't necessarily feel that way. love these kind of posts! you almost make me want to garden, but not quite. mostly i just want my kids to garden now. :)
    thanks for the jello.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me want to make your children garden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so cool. if my kids saw this blog they would be jealous. Anytime there is a new cool tool they get excited. If they get bored there send them my way. I have lots of things for them to do and plant. JK but I love hearing good things!

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.