Wednesday, February 11, 2009

We really hope #7 is lucky

This is Alex, wearing his 7th pair of glasses.  It's been 36 hours and he hasn't lost or damage them yet.  kids camera photos until Feb 2009 024

Most of the losses are from his love to read in bed until he falls asleep.  Many times they are still on his face, a bit tilted, when I wake him in the morning.  Sometimes they get lost in many nooks and crannies and 6 foot drops from the top of his bed.  kids camera photos until Feb 2009 023

Well, sick mamma is taking a vacation, which leaves cool, inspired and creative momma showing talents.  I took an old glasses case of mine (I've got countless, since I've had them since 4th grade). 

Then I brought out my staple gun and hammer.  And I staple gunned the top flap of the case to the bed.  And I hammered the staples down flush, so they wouldn't scratch the glasses.    It's the dark brown thing on his bed rail. 

kids camera photos until Feb 2009 021

Alex tried it out last night.  He can easily put his glasses away when bedtime reading is over.  In the morning, he can reach them from the floor.  He can stash them quickly during a clothing change.   His face lights up and I got that golden hug of  "you're the best mother in the world!"

It's the best Idea I've had so far, besides RecSpecs that he wore 24/7 until blisters appeared behind his ear. 

I'll have to let you know how long this pair last.   Are you responsible for any glasses?  Any tips on how to tabs on them and keep them fitting properly?  

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome idea. i hate trying to lie down and read with my glasses, too. there really should be some alternative "reading in bed" flexible glasses. my glasses are pretty hammered. good luck with this pair, alex. yay for microsoft insurance- though you've probably still had to pay quite a bit out of pocket for 7 pair.
    glad you're having a "cool mom" kind of day- or at least moment. hope it sticks around for a while :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.