Saturday, March 7, 2009

If you gotta do it, do it in style!

Rachel's list of must have for the night-before prep for a colonoscopy;

Family Flu and Colon prep 050

 

  1. Clean bathroom:  Really only the floor, toilet, and sink. 
  2. Chilled "special drink" with flavor packet.  DO NOT pick a flavor packet that tastes like the Jell-O you've been eating all day
  3. Drink from a metal measure cup.  You get the right amount, and you can pretend that you're a pioneer who is super thirsty but had to drink from a nasty well. 
  4. Kitchen type timer to remind you when it's time to drink.  AGAIN. 
  5. Lined trash can, with in arms reach at anytime.  Toilet is already booked if you feel overly nauseous. 
  6. Hairclip if your hair is any longer than mine. 
  7. All jewelry, glasses and rings removed.   Really. 
  8. Unplug everything you can in your bathroom, you'll need the sockets.   Or bring in an extension cord. 
  9. A portable DVD player, with plug in nearby in case you outrun the battery.
  10. Stack of DVD's you LOVE to watch  (Thanks Sarah!) 
  11. A really emotional, keep-going-even-when-it's-over movie that makes you happy you're just in the bathroom, and not living the movie's life.  (I picked Narnia: Prince Caspian)
  12. Warm shirt.  Long sleeves a must.  Can't be longer than belt level.   AND THAT'S IT  (Trust me, it's better that way)   But of course, I'm totally dressed under there. 
  13. Foot stool in bathroom.  Two thick books will do if your space is limited. 
  14. Electric hot pad to hug, that can reach to the toilet. 
  15. Electric blanket on high, on the other side of a tiny bathroom.   Perfect to wrap up in between "sessions".   It keeps the body shakes to a minimum. 
  16. Nice, soft "wet wipes" like Cottenelle.  Trust me, it's worth the $4 in the morning. 
  17. A pad of paper for funny ideas of words your doctor would laugh at seeing on your backside in the morning. 
  18. Bathroom/bedroom door locked so no children ask for your attention.   Better if you also can't hear them.    (ear plugs, or loud movie)
  19. Give hubby the key, so if he's extra nice, he'll hang out with you after the kids are in bed.  He'll measure the drink.  He'll help you guess when you're half done.  And he'll laugh when you do a dance after drinking your last cup. 

Next issue, Due Late April, will tell if mixing 2 flavor packets is better than one.  Or if recent flu is helpful or hurtful to the comfort level of prep. 

Family Flu and Colon prep 051

PS...can you tell what Grant I wrote on my bum for the doctor and nurses to see the morning of the test?   Little did I know that permanent markers are not permanent from Skin to toilet seats.  I left my mark on toilets all over the hospital.      (cause I scheduled a 1 1/2 hour MRI after I woke up.   Yeah, it's because I like it.) 

1 comment:

  1. I just noticed I never want to have another colonoscopy as long as I live.

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.