Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Emily wishes

photo..emily in the middle, right after the assembly.

Today is the day. A celebration I'm just now understanding enough to do anything about it.

A celebration marked by a school assembly. By the way, I don't ever remember an assembly for anything meaningful like respecting those who give career and life to their government. Especially in a country where so many refuse to give part of their money (or even their time to vote) toward the same place. it's especially ironic that my ghetto high school would fail so about celebrating veterans when half of the non pregnant graduates signed up for the army. Few served in other places.

Weeks ago emily came home ...
Jumping and dancing. More than normal. She got one of a few parts in the whole school assembly. She didn't know what to write, because she didn't have anyone in her family that served in a war.

No one? That stopped me, which is getting harder to do. All 4 of her grandpas served in WWII. One of them was highly decorated and even served his whole career in military service. Emily herself colored on letters that I sent to my cousin Dan in Iraq. Half the time the military post offices didn't know where he was. Their system for mail is poor, in my opinion. I had a sheet of printed mailing labels. All the same. Some letter went thru. Many came back. Rarely did two slowly returned letters have the same error message. I especially hate the one that said he was no longer serving. Tell that to my worried Aunt!

So they don't get the perks of the job right. The system has flaws, more or less depending on who you ask or how they feel about our military general. This war is good to are that even with such a division, everyone agrees that those who serve or who have served are heroes. Now excuse me, I've got to pull out the photo albums so my kids know their grandpas are all heroes too.

Oh, emily opened the event with her remarks. Many remarked how she was the best performer, she was a star, they loved how she marched. My opera sister should be proud to know that I see her in emily. But, she doesn't read this, so I wouldn't know. Emily can sing every military branches song, including the coast guards.

Did you know their song has something like this is the song for the coast guard in its first line? Made me giggle. So proud of emily and so glad I could go and see her.

Now I'm off to tell the kids about their grandpas. While we clean up the mess in the kitchen from morning parental sleeping.


Sent from my Windows Mobile Phone

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the post but I think you mean Emily's Great-grandpas. Your dad was not around to serve in WWII. Our high school had a great Veteran's Day program. When they played all the military songs it made me realize how much I miss talking to my dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Aunt Holly. It's all the great-grandparents.

    I miss Deja too. After talking about calling Great Granddad smith to sing to him the ...hmmm.marine? Navy? airforce? song (he did so much) , I wanted to call my grandpa's also. I thought how Deja would so enjoy to hear the songs.

    And for the first time in years, I had a really strong thud in my heart. Deja is gone, and I can't talk to him in this life again.

    It makes me want to find a tape I have of him. Babi and Deja were visiting, and I turned my tape recorder on and asked HIS version of how they met. Oh, how fun!

    Love you all, love my grandpas too!

    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I'm touched you would comment. Please be gentle.